2018- A Year in Books

Living abroad with terrible internet was actually a blessing for the massive book worm that lies within me. I pretty much got through a book a week and reading really helped me escape reality and got me through some pretty tough days. I've always been a keen reader, pretty much thanks to my auntie working for a publishers and bringing me piles of books as a kid (big shout out to you Sue!), and when I was really struggling with my anxiety, my doctor suggested I got back into it and it really did help, it's great for getting out of your own head and spend some total chill time by yourself- for me I find it makes it even better with a pot of tea and packet of biscuits to hand! So I wanted to share with you some of my favourite reads, and some of the most compelling stories and literature that got me through 2018.

This certainly isn't the full list as we would actually be here until 2030, but here's a few of my MUST READS for 2019...





Image result for dark matter by blake crouch
1. Dark Matter by  Blake Crouch
This book was recommended by one of my best friends and is one of the BEST books I've read in a very long time. It kept me fully engaged from start to finish and I was so upset when it ended. It's a bit sci-fi/ fantasy- think a serious/thriller version of Rick and Morty but with the same brilliant and totally bizarre storyline. Jason Dessen is abducted one night on the way home and finds himself in a world where he is himself but his wife is not his wife, his son was never born, his house is not his house and his job is not his job. The story line follows his journey to try and find his world as he is confronted with the darkest parts of himself and a terrifying realisation of what he has done.


Related image
2. The Whisperer by Donato Carrisi
I actually read this one on a whim after another colleague on the island left it behind. I'm so glad they did because what a smashing read! The start of my new found love for crime and thriller reads. A tad disturbing but so good. Gripping and thrilling all the way through. After six severed arms belonging to six young girls are discovered in a forest clearing the story takes us deep into the grim and really disturbing police investigation with Mila Vasquez coming to join the local team to help find the missing bodies and really get into the minds of a serial killer to find out not only what happened, but the real motive behind these horrific crimes as she deals with her own issues and difficulties settling in with the new team full of strong personalities and strict roles.


Image result for eleanor oliphant is completely fine
3.Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine by Gail Honeyman
What a glorious read this was. A belated birthday gift from my best friend this really was just what I needed, exactly when I needed it. A very funny read but laced with deep rooted emotions and issues that make it a truly wonderful book. Eleanor struggles with appropriate social skills and has a tendency to say exactly what is on her mind. This books charters deep into her world and follows her new friendship with Raymond and her emotional journey dealing with love, loss, healing, new experiences, self-awareness and general everyday life. I love the way this book is totally relatable, and it actually teaches us how important it is to open ourselves up to those who care for us and that no matter what other people think, the best thing you can be is yourself and that is completely fine.


Image result for the life changing magic of not giving a fuck
4.The Life Changing Magic of Not Giving a Fuck by Sarah Knight
So pretty much the whole series of No Fucks Given guides by Sarah Knight are worthy reads but I started with this one. As well as being totally hilarious and also pretty profound, it's an interactive read with exercises and activities to do as you go through which I really enjoyed and it helped me sort out a few things in the head and allocate my "fuck budget" more fairly to actually improve my time management and get rid of things and people that didn't make me happy. A great, eye-opening and necessary read if like me, you're a perfectionist, a people pleaser and you worry too much about what other people think because let's face it, none of that actually makes ourselves genuinely happy- in fact it's exhausting and it makes me pretty miserable, and fake plants too, I decided to relocate my fuck giving for fake plants to other things that do make me happy- Thank you Sarah Knight!

Image result for milk and honey
5. Milk and Honey by Rupi Kaur
This book made me cry like, a lot. It is so beautiful and I felt really connected to her poetry, it is raw and truly heartbreaking but it also gave me strength and inspiration and helped me to heal in my own way. And because this is a compilation of poetry, it means you can dip in and out of it as you please, I have a few of my favourites that every now and then I go back to for a little reminder of how far I've come but also, how far there is still left to journey. I have Rupi's next book, The Sun and Her Flowers on my bedside table that I'm currently working through also- I can almost guarantee that will be in 2019's line up for my best reads!

Aside from these 5, some other really good ones are...

Mad Girl by Bryony Gordon

The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath

Into the Water by Paula Hawkins

Dark Places by Gillian Flynn

The Fear by C.L. Taylor

I started using Good Reads a while ago and find it super useful when searching for book recommendations and keeping track of those books you can't for the life of you remember what your mates, mates, mate once told you on a night out you had to read that would change your life. You can search for books you've enjoyed and find related titles and friends can recommend you reading material. As well as this, being able to update your progress on what your reading and see how much you've read, I always find, is a good motivator and a nice little pat on the back- yes, big nerd, I know. Either way, get on it and give me a follow to see what delicious reads I'm getting my teeth stuck into in 2019!

Comments