Island Life- A New Adventure

Walk from the staff village to the boutique. A decent commute wouldn't you say?

It's 20:25 on Sunday 3rd December, and it's 28°c.

So as many of you know, I recently packed up my life into a suitcase (yes, again) and left all my amazing friends and family and home comforts in the UK and jet off for a new life and job at One & Only Reethi Rah in the Maldives, YES THE MALDIVES (queue ooo’s and argh’s)! I just wanted to check in and let you all know how it's going and clear my head of some thoughts, here goes...

My new role in the luxury boutique on the 5* resort is a dream come true for a small town girl like me. Aside from obviously all the amazing fashion brands, retail on the resort has complete autonomy so that means little old me gets to play with the big guns. We pick our own stock, we organise events, we have control. The business side of my degree is definitely coming in handy- thanks for pushing my to do that Pa. Not to mention the sun, clear blue seas and white sandy beaches- although I’ve not actually seen much of that since I arrived I’ve been so busy!

Despite that, as with any new job, I’ve had my doubts and freak-outs this week, admittedly after a 27-hour flight. I was super duper tired and extremely emotional and overwhelmed. To add to this crazy mix of emotions, my suitcase, containing my life and most prized possessions, was not waiting for me in Male after my 3rd flight (I’m one week in now and there’s still no sign of it!). That being said, after (a lot of) tears, a shower and a nice drink on the beach with my amazing new manager (Krystal I hope you’re reading this my darling! <3), I had a good sleep and woke up feeling relatively refreshed and ready to kick start this new life of mine.

I started off, in true Harriet style, by getting to know all the amazing stock and brands in the boutique and WOW. YEY for fashion!! Unfortunately, as it stands it’s all waaaaay out of my budget but I’m just starting out so give me chance- I’ve got my eye on a beautiful Kisshoten one of a kind kimono made from amazing vintage Japanese silk!

So I'm a few days into it now and am settling in, mostly thanks to the truly amazing, most kind and generous people I've met who've calmed me down and lent me clothes and cheered me up (mostly with beer). We've been hitting the staff bar hard and you'd be amazed what entertainment a broom and cereal box can provide on a secluded island.

Today I took the staff bought off the island to Male, the capital to sort a few things out and spent the day rallying about on the back of a motorbike with the lovely Isham. Crazy drivers, crazy place. But this crazy place is completely breathtaking, exactly like it looks on google images, and I'm excited for this storm (figurative missing baggage drama and literal yellow weather warning) to blow over and to settle into my new home and see where this mad journey takes me!

I'll be sure to keep updating as and when I can, we've got a fashion show coming up so stay tuned! 

H xo 

Comments

Post a Comment