Post graduate life in Leeds

Well, it's certainly been a while! What with moving back from the most amazing time in France, doing my final year of uni then graduation, relationship breakdowns, a family wedding, moving flat, finding and starting a new job with Kurt Geiger (the shoe dream I know), it's been a bit of an emotional and physical whirlwind of a year so regrettably my blog has taken a back seat. Regardless of my past and failed intentions to properly launch the blog I wanted when I moved back to Leeds one year ago, I really am determined this time! I've brought my camera back with me, my new flat is perfect for those instaworthy shots and despite a serious lack of funds, I have managed to filter my wardrobe out and am feeling pretty good about recent outfit choices so keep an eye out for that post!


First thing I wanted to write about though, is something I didn't actually plan on sharing when I started my blog but I feel with recent events, it's a really important issue that a number of people our generation are coping with and any feedback on this post would be greatly appreciated.


So here goes, the post uni blues- it's bank holiday Monday, I managed to somehow get the day off work thank goodness due to a rather overindulgent couple of days and I'm sat in my cactus print pjs on the balcony, eating grapes, drinking green tea and trying not to have a mental breakdown about how life if panning out and how skint I am. It seemed like such an amazing idea that after uni I'd stay in Leeds, get a job that pays the bills and just live it up for year, try save some money then apply for those tricky to get grad schemes and my dream career as a fashion buyer would magically appear and I'd be super happy and living comfortably in no time... Cue reality, I'm in a shit load of debt, I love my job but it doesn't actually pay the bills (well it does just, but it won't fund my expensive tastes) and well, I just feel a little bit lost in all honesty.




I graduated with a 1st class honours degree in French with International Business, I also received an award for my achievements (83 in my '12000 words of french' dissertation, thank you very much) and yet I feel like I'm not actually qualified to do anything. And as much as I am enjoyed my job as acting assistant manager, am I seriously under selling myself? The plan was to gain managerial experience in retail this year, box ticked, but the path to my dream career which once seemed golden and yellow now seems foggy and grey. Now don't get me wrong, I know I'm super lucky that I have been able to stay here in Leeds in my own place and not move back with my parents as, as much as I love them (my Ma and Pa are legit my best mates), they will also agree with me that there's nothing for me in Teesside, and we all get along better when we don't have to argue over who's done (or not done rather) the washing up. Leeds is an amazing city, I love it here and in actual fact I think half the problem is that I feel super settled here and know that in reality, to pursue the career I want, I will have to at some point move down to that London. As a Northern bird, born and bred, this scares me slightly, which must sound bizarre knowing that I have lived in a foreign country and thoroughly enjoyed every second without any fear.

Today does feel like a very grey day, a little brighter after writing this I must admit, and to be honest, there are a lot more brighter days post-graduation. I know my mental health is lot sturdier than it was, I feel a lot happier, but I do think as one of those people that thrived in education and needs constant reassurance that I'm doing ok, doing it all on my own here now means I'm feeling worried I'm going to just get too comfortable and not stretch to reach my goals. I know that to a number of my friends in this situation, I've told them, "you're 23, have an amazing degree, and nothing but time on your hands. There's no need to rush, enjoy having fewer responsibilities and being able to be selfish, you've only just finished and should be enjoying yourself".

We're a generation of over achievers and the education system looks after us very well. I think it's safe to say, once we've got through the stresses of final year and dissertation writing, we all feel super drained and maybe we need to be a bit lazy for a while to gain a sense of what it's like to be normal again, to sort our sleeping patterns out, to let it sink in that it's all finished. I live in a great city, surrounded by amazing friends, my family are super proud and supportive, I have a job I don't dread going into, my flat is lovely, I'm young and I'm healthy. So is it ok to give yourself a year or so to find your adult feet as it were? Yes, it totally is. Will you have days where you regret taking that year? Yes, see above. But like taking an extra year to move away for uni, I think in the long run, I should look back at this time and remember all the fun I've had and the money worries, well we've all got them and according the Martin Lewis and my wise Pa, it's actually good for your credit score to live in your overdraft (not past it thought guys).

Emotional explosion over.

Any grad friends any advice? Fellow Northerners living in London? Anyone with career advice or experience of fashion graduate schemes?

Harri XO


Comments

  1. Finishing education is a huge moment in anyone's life, especially those of us that were in education for 15+ years so you're probably just feeling a bit overwhelmed.
    Try to put things into perspective - you've only been finished uni a couple of months and already secured yourself a full time managerial role - that's something many graduates can only ever dream of. You've also got the best marks and achievements in your degree than anyone I know (and working in HR I read a lot of CV's!!).
    You're just panicking because you're ambitious and want to progress as quickly as possible - that's what I'm like too and trust me it works out in the end, but for now - enjoy some chill time not having to think about deadlines and revision. As for money, you'll work out budgets that suit you in no time.

    You'll get there H :) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. The fog will clear and you will find yourself and your path. You will go onto to achieve all the things that you set out to achieve. Taking a year to assess your options is sometimes not such a bad idea, better than jumping into something you regret down the line.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment